1978 Hatteras 53 Yacht Fisherman
Twin Detroit Diesel 8V71 TI – 450 HP Engines
Three Stateroom Three Head Layout
This 1978 Hatteras 53 Yacht Fisherman “dharma” is a fine example of a true CLASSIC by the legendary naval architect Jack Hargrave. This boat has very BEAUTIFUL lines and she is recognizable from every angle to be a CLASSIC MOTOR YACHT. She has not been modernized, modified or extendedby any of the previous owners and in pretty much the original form that she was created. This boat has never been chartered or used as a live aboard. Within the last year “dharma” has had lots of TLCS to the appearance. Both engines and transmissions were serviced in March 2022. Heat exchanger service, cooling system flush and all new thermostats were installed in December 2021. 8 New Batteries, cables & terminals were installed in March 2022 to name a few. All new soft goods were added for the interior and the boat is very clean and shows well. Most likely “dharma” is as original as one can find a true classic Hatteras 53 Yacht Fisherman with the exception of updated galley appliances. The current owner has kept that in mind while updating the boat to preserve its classic feel throughout the boat. All repairs, maintenance, updates have been documented with receipts in a logbook. Original Owner's Manual from Hatteras is on board. Yet, as with any boat of this age there are many areas that the new owners may want to improve to preserve her classic original appeal. “dharma” is a three stateroom three head motor yacht that offers a forward stateroom with over and under berths that has a separate head with a stall shower. Master stateroom has a queen size bed and the guest stateroom has a full-size bed.
Overall, the boat is in good condition. The generator needs to be repaired or replaced. The cost of the generator replacement has been considered and the seller has reduced the original asking price by 30,000 to accommodate the new buyer for a New Generator.
If you are looking for a 53 Hatteras, please give me a call and I will give you an accurate description of this boat.
Boarding the boat from either side is a breeze. Functional all fiberglass cockpit offers easy access to the swim platform through the transom gate. Fishing, swimming, scuba diving, line handling and dinghy handling are so convenient with an aft cockpit. Traditionally a feature of sport fishing boats, motor yacht owners have discovered this versatile feature offers extra convenience and enjoyment. The swimming platform has Weaver Snap Davits for inflatable dinghy mount to swim platform. The out-board engine mount is to the port side of the cockpit. Fold-down ladder makes it easier to get in and out of the water. Underneath the cockpit floor is an extra 240-gallon fuel tank, a feature of the Yacht Fisherman for fishing enthusiast. A GFI electrical outlet is on the port side and a wash down spigot is on the starboard side.
An open Aft Deck with an overhang is nice and cozy for an evening to enjoy drinks or just relax and watch the sunset! Entry from the salon is through the French doors, two wing doors on each side give access to the side decks, access to the cockpit is with a varnished staircase. Underneath the ladder to the fly bridge is a molded fiberglass storage unit with drawers.
The salon is very much a classic Hatteras with lots of wood, side curtains, natural light flowing from 360-degree large windows and has two side doors to the side decks for line handling or to access the bow or aft deck. On the port side aft is an icemaker, wet bar with sink, glass storage for entertainment. Starboard side aft is a stereo cabinet that has an AM/FM CD player with Bluetooth to provide sounds to every room in the boat except the forward stateroom. White leather couch on the starboard side and an accent chair and a tv cabinet on the port side (no TV). There is a 1500-watt inverter. Hi-low Cocktail/Dinning table can be moved to the aft deck for aft deck dinning.
Very original, Garmin GPSmap 498 GPS/Chart plotter and Ritchie Lighted original Compass. Here there are many ways one can install new electronics and still preserve the originality of the helm.
Entry is from the salon by a circular staircase on the starboard side. The spacious galley has been updated with new appliances. 4-person dinette has storage under the seat cushions.
- GE Refrigerator
- Kitchen Aid Dishwasher
- GE Microwave,
- GE 4 burner Stove
- Garbage Disposal
- Original Speakers
- Aft with opening window to the cockpit and opening port lights to the port side with curtains.
- Queen size island bed with nightstands and reading lights
- Ample Storage drawers
- Hanging closet
- Samsung sound bar with subwoofer for Bluetooth connectivity
- Master head with vanity and stall shower
- Original Speakers
- Upper and lower berths
- Hanging locker and Storage Drawers
- Washer and Dryer
- Enclosed head with vanity and stall shower.
- Anchor Locker storage
- Amidship on the port side.
- Double berth
- Hanging closet
- Storage drawers
- Head with vanity and stall shower
- Original Speakers
Deck & Hull
- Stainless steel bow rail
- Bow pulpit with roller
- Galley Maid Windlass with foot controls
- Plow anchor with chain rode
- Four SS Fender racks (8 fenders)
- Two Deck boxes
- Two Aluminum boarding ladders
- Two spare 4-blade propellers
- Avon 6-person Life Raft (not certified)
- Large flybridge with bench seat forward, upper helm, new dual helm chairs with covers and ample storage
- Overhead electronic box
- Aluminum Bimini top with canvas and overhead lighting
- AM/FM Stereo/CD with speakers
- Full Flybridge Enclosure
- 4 Cruise Air Air-condition units
- Original Onan 15 Kw Generator (not working, need replacement)
- 8 New 8-volt golf-cart batteries with all new cables and terminals.
- New Galley Maid Fresh Water pump with check valves and expansion tank
- New March air-conditioning pump with new sea strainer and new hoses and clamps.
- Three Galley Maid toilet pumps
- 50’ 50-amp shore power cord
- Two 30-amp shore power cords
- 50-amp to two 30-amp Y-Connector
- Glendinning Engine synchronizers
- 5 CO Monitors & New Fire Extinguishers
- Twin Detroit Diesel 8V71 TI (Hour meters read Port-732 & Starboard-742)
- Craftsman air compressor
- Rheem Water Heater
- Galley Maid Fresh Water Pump
- Racor Fuel Filters
- Oil Change Pumps for both engines, transmissions and generator.
- Fuel Priming pump
- Shaft Locks
- Engine Blowers
- 110-volt AC and 32-volt DC lighting
- 32-volt Sentry Battery Charger
- CO2 Fire Extinguisher (not certified)
Exclusions: Seller’s Personal items.